How Organisational Wellbeing Impacts Absenteeism: Strategies for a Healthy Work Environment
18 December, 2023
According to a report by the Integrated Benefits Institute, employers in the United States alone are estimated to suffer an annual loss of $530 billion, or €432 billion, due to absenteeism. To fully address the impact of absenteeism at work and take appropriate measures, it is essential to conduct a detailed analysis of the main causes of absenteeism and to formulate a targeted and effective plan for its management.
Main Causes of Corporate Absenteeism
The reasons behind corporate absenteeism can be varied and often interrelated. Here is a list of the main ones:
Ecco una lista delle principali:
1. Unsafe or unhealthy work environment: Lack of safety or an unhealthy work environment can cause illness or injury, contributing to increased absenteeism.
2. Personal problems: Personal issues such as family difficulties or health problems can affect the well-being of employees, reflecting on absenteeism.
3. Lack of involvement and motivation: Poorly motivated or uninvolved employees may be more prone to absenteeism.
4. Stress and burnout: A stressful working environment or excessive workload may lead to health problems and, consequently, to increased absenteeism. According to a study by EU-OSHA (European Agency for Safety and Health at Work), half of all European workers regularly experience stress at work, responsible for about 50 percent of lost working days. The results underline the importance of stress management in the professional sphere.
5. Insufficient pay: A low salary can demotivate employees, increasing the likelihood of absenteeism.
6. Inefficient internal communication: Gaps in internal communication can generate confusion and dissatisfaction among employees, thus contributing to absenteeism.
Other factors may contribute to absenteeism, including poor work-life balance, lack of support from superiors or colleagues, workplace conflicts, reduced work flexibility and rigid company absence policies. The causes may vary from company to company and from person to person.
Once you have identified the specific causes of absenteeism in your organization, you can develop a targeted plan to address and prevent them.
Organizational Wellbeing and Absenteeism
Organizational Wellbeing is a concept that is gaining in importance. It is a set of factors contributing to a healthy, motivating and rewarding working environment for employees. One of the most tangible indicators of the effectiveness of Organizational Wellbeing is employee absenteeism rates. Taking care of the well-being of one's employees strongly influences the absenteeism rate for several reasons:
1. A Positive Work Environment Reduces Stress: A positive and inclusive working environment helps to reduce stress levels among employees. Employees who feel supported, valued and respected are less likely to develop stress-related disorders. This can lead to a significant decrease in the number of days of absence due to illness or stress-related problems.
2. Fosters a Climate of Open Communication: A company that promotes open and transparent communication tends to resolve conflicts more quickly and effectively. This means that employees will feel more comfortable reporting problems or concerns, preventing small discontents from turning into more serious situations that could lead to prolonged periods of absence.
3.Incentives for Professional Growth and Development: Organizational Wellbeing often translates into training and development opportunities for employees. When people have the chance to grow professionally and acquire new skills, they feel more engaged and valued. This can lead to a greater sense of fulfillment and satisfaction, reducing the likelihood that employees will look elsewhere for job opportunities.
4. Provides Incentives for a Healthy Work-Life Balance A company that promotes a healthy work-life balance demonstrates that it cares about the well-being of its employees. Offering work flexibility, encouraging regular breaks and providing physical and mental wellbeing programs can help reduce the risk of burnout and promote the overall health and wellbeing of employees.
5. Increases Commitment and Motivation: A work environment that promotes Organisational Wellbeing tends to have more committed and motivated employees. When people feel part of a team and see that their contribution is valued, they are more likely to put maximum effort into their work. This can lead to increased productivity and reduced absenteeism, as employees are more likely to be present and feel motivated to overcome challenges.
Strategies for Creating a Healthy Work Environment
To promote Organisational Wellbeing and reduce absenteeism rates, companies can adopt several strategies:
1. Wellness programs: Implement wellness programs that promote employees' physical and mental health. For example, initiatives such as fitness programs, meditation sessions and stress management courses.
2. Work Environment Changes: Improve the work environment to reduce stress and promote employee satisfaction.
3. Work-Life Balance Policies: Introduce policies that enable employees to better manage their work-life balance by providing flexibility in working arrangements and encouraging regular breaks.
4. Promote Open and Transparent Communication: Employees should feel comfortable sharing concerns or problems, and be confident that their concerns will be taken seriously and addressed appropriately.
5. Opportunities for professional development and growth: When employees see a promising future within the company, they are more likely to be fully committed to their daily responsibilities. This can contribute to a motivating and rewarding working environment.
6.Training and Support for Managers: Providing training for managers to improve management skills and create a positive working environment.
7. Incentives for Attendance: Create incentive programs that reward attendance and excellent performance.
Absenteeism and Corporate Performance: Why is it Crucial to Reduce the Rate of Absenteeism at Work?
Absenteeism at work can have significant consequences for business performance. A high absenteeism rate can cause significant problems in any organization.
The IZA Institute of Labor Economics estimates that a 1% increase in sick leave results in a 0.24% decrease in productivity. In the UK, an average of 15.4 million working days are lost each year due to work-related stress, anxiety and depression, at an approximate cost of £13.5 million.
Ignoring the problem can cause several negative consequences, including:
1. Impact on productivity: The absence of employees interrupts the continuity of work, causing delays in projects. Team members may have to take on additional responsibilities, increasing stress and the risk of burnout. This compromises the efficiency and productivity of the team or department.
2. Impact on reputation: A high absenteeism rate may generate a negative perception of the company among customers, partners and potential employees. A compromised reputation can undermine trust in the brand and limit the ability to attract new customers and employees.
3. Economic impact: Absenteeism entails significant direct and indirect costs for the company. Absences for health reasons may require additional paid leave hours or the hiring of temporary replacements, increasing the expenses of the human resources department. In addition, absenteeism may result in lost business opportunities, reducing the company's overall profits.
Actively tackling absenteeism enables companies to increase efficiency, reduce financial losses and maintain a solid corporate reputation.
Reducing absenteeism requires an ongoing commitment and a corporate culture that puts employee well-being at the center.
Investing in employee well-being can lead to a significant reduction in absenteeism rates, with tangible benefits for the company itself, its employees and its reputation in the labor market. This is not only a matter of social responsibility, but also of economic and strategic common sense for companies seeking to thrive in a competitive environment.
Preventing Absenteeism: The Importance of Corporate Climate Analysis
Corporate climate analysis is a crucial element in maintaining a healthy and productive working environment. This tool enables companies to obtain a detailed view of their employees' opinions, perceptions and feelings about the working environment and corporate culture. Constantly monitoring the company climate allows the company to identify any problems or areas of dissatisfaction among staff at an early stage. This is essential to intervene promptly and make the necessary improvements, preventing employee concerns from building up and leading to increased absenteeism rates and consequently turnover.
Furthermore, demonstrating an active commitment to improving employee well-being through corporate climate analysis can help to build a climate of trust and transparency within the organization, encouraging employees to express their opinions and feel valued. This process, therefore, not only helps maintain a healthy working environment but also provides a solid basis for the long-term success and sustainability of the company itself.
Beaconforce: Improving Corporate Climate to Reduce Absenteeism and Promote Organisational Wellbeing
Beaconforce is an innovative solution that simplifies corporate climate analysis and supports companies in combating absenteeism and improving employee performance.
With an approach based on data analysis and artificial intelligence, Beaconforce offers advanced tools to monitor employee engagement and well-being.
Through the use of periodic surveys and assessments, the platform proactively identifies potential sources of stress or discomfort that could lead to absenteeism.
In addition, Beaconforce provides customized suggestions and recommendations to improve employee engagement and satisfaction. With this in-depth understanding of employees' needs and expectations, companies can take targeted preventive measures, promoting a healthier and more productive work environment, and significantly reducing absenteeism rates.
Learn more about Beaconforce
Download our information brochure
Rimani costantemente aggiornato su ciò che realmente motiva le tue persone.
Trova la soluzione migliore per la tua organizzazione
Ascoltare e rispondere proattivamente ai bisogni delle persone è la chiave del successo della tua azienda. Con il piano Engagement di Beaconforce potrai implementare un canale di comunicazione bilaterale, tenendo sotto controllo i bisogni del tuo team ed avendo sempre visibilità in tempo reale di come si sentono le tue persone.
Articoli e news